If you want to get the iOS 5.1 Jailbreak as quickly as possible, you’ll can help Pod2g in getting the things done. Pod2g in a recent post on hi s blog, has asked for the jailbreak community to help him by sending any iOS 5.1 crash reports that can lead him to develop a full n final jailbreak for iOS 5.1. Remember, in order to jailbreak a device, hackers need a set of exploitable vulnerabilities. You might be thinking of how can you help them, so here are number of ways in which you can help pod2g and other jailbreakers….
● a code injection vector : a vulnerability in the core components of iOS that leads to custom, unsigned code execution.
● a privilege escalation vulnerability : it’s usualy not enough to have unsigned code execution. Nearly all iOS applications and services are sandboxed, so one often need to escape from the jail to trigger the kernel exploit.
● a kernel vulnerability : the kernel is the real target of the jailbreak payload. The jailbreak has to patch it to remove the signed code enforcement. Only the kernel can patch the kernel, that’s why a code execution vulnerability in the context of the kernel is needed.
● an untethering vulnerability : when the device boots, it is unpatched, thus cannot run unsigned code. Thus, to start the jailbreak payload at boot time, a code execution vector either in the services bootstrap or in the loading of binaries is mandatory.
If your device crashes on any core applications such as Safari, Mail, etc, or the phone reboots (Kernel) again and again, then send him an email with the crash report and steps to repeat the crash at : ios.pod2g [at] gmail d.o.t com.
● Always test on the latest iOS version before reporting a crash (at the time of writing, iOS 5.1)
● Be sure to not report crashes to Apple : on your iOS device, go to Settings / General / About / Diagnostics & Usage, and verify that “Don’t Send” is checked.
● Not all crashes are interesting : aborts, timeouts or out-of-memory kind of crashes are useless. Verify the crash dump in Settings / General / About / Diagnostics & Usage / Diagnostic & Usage Data that the crash report you created is of Exception Type SIGILL, SIGBUS or SIGSEGV.
● The crash should be repeatable, which means you should know what exact steps produced it and how to reproduce it on another device.
via pod2gFollow 9To5jailbreak on Twitter, Facebook, or RSS for more updates…